Guests are accommodated in two traditional farmhouses, renovated prioritising the recovery of original materials and furnished with late 19th-early 20th century furniture. There are 7 rooms with sea view, each with en-suite facilities, TV, minibar and safe, as well as two two-roomed apartments in a 3rd farmhouse (also recently renovated) a short distance from the others. There is ample car-parking at guests’ disposal. The farmhouses stand on the northern slopes of Monte Fico, in a hillside area, on terraces supported by dry-stone walls, surrounded by vineyards and ancient cork oak and ilex, myrtle, lentisk and strawberry trees, with the calm and silence broken only by the noises of the woods. The houses enjoy a sweeping view of the Strait of Piombino and in particular of the small islands of Palmaiola and Cerboli.
Due to the buildings’ construction features, with very thick walls and ventilated roofs, it has not been necessary to install air-conditioning. Hot water is produced and part of the heating is provided by solar panels. Breakfast and dinners are served in the garden, or in a dining-room with open fireplace. Guests have exclusive use of a pleasant conversation area under a veranda and a swimming-pool of 14 x 6 m, which in view of the location provides an oasis of perfect peace.
The holiday farm is about 2 Km from the town of Rio Marina and the sea. It is accessed by an initial section of rather steep paved road, with a final 500 m unpaved stretch. The location is pleasantly breezy, and given the thick vegetation, the temperature on summer evenings is delightful.
|We request guests’ understanding concerning some possible intrinsic “inconveniences”:
- it is essential to drive with care on the access road, especially the final unpaved section, particularly with cars built only for on-road use.
- In view of the type of renovation work done, retaining as many original features as possible (existing walls and floors), damp patches may occur on the walls of some rooms, especially after prolonged rainy periods, normally very rare during the three summer months.
- Since there is no round-the-clock reception service, no staff are present overnight.
- We do not have a reception office, and so it is essential for guests to inform in advance their arrival, in any case not later than 8 p.m. Check out 10.30 a.m.
- Our rooms have double beds which cannot be split, although separate mattresses are available.